Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dream Jobs/Internship thru Social Media


Is it possible to land your dream Career or Internship thru Social Media?
“LinkedIn”
By: Moussa Sidime

          




 Until a few days ago I didn’t think so. I’ve heard of LinkedIn and even have a partial profile there, but I didn’t realize the power and great exposure it could provide when looking for a new job or internship. I thought of it as the Facebook for serious minded people who have jobs and need business contacts to promote their business. That was the extent of brainpower I had given it.  Since I have a Facebook account where most of my friends and a few past co-workers are part of my social contact list, why would I want to subscribe to another website to keep in touch with the same people? That seemed redundant to me. Therefore, LinkedIn was never a priority even though I followed their stock price from time to time because of its growth and compared it to Facebook.

Little  did I know,  all my friends and business associates who claimed they never had the time to open a Facebook account because they were too busy with their careers, business ventures and higher education were sending me invitations to connect on LinkedIn.  I deleted all of those emails and wondered why I ever signed up on that website a few years back? Then a business associate of mine, who is very trendy and savvy, requested that I become one of his friends on LinkedIn. I figured if he sees a value in it, I should sign up. Well, it was one of the best actions I took for my career without even being aware of it. It was like getting a stack of Berkshire Hathaway stocks from your grandfather that had been locked in your safe deposit box for 20 years and not knowing its value until today. I have been contacted about several job opportunities during the past 3 years without realizing why I was being chosen. Today I understand that I was being considered as a passive candidate, an employed professional who is not actively looking for a job, but is open to discuss potential opportunities. Based on a research done, 10 to 20 percent of the job market is made up of passive candidates. All these job offers were due to my network, 2nd degree connections, people who are directly connected to someone in my network,  and their endorsements of my skills they knew I had based on past experiences working with me that were detailed in my resume. Four year ago I uploaded my resume without a picture and it took on a life of its own.

Reflecting back on it, this system makes total sense. If the people I worked with can attest to my skills, putting their own reputation on the line by endorsing me, why wouldn’t a head hunter or recruiter not want to hire me or at the least reach out to see if I would be a great addition to their work force? After all, I do have a great smile and personality as I am told. Seriously, being endorsed online helps to take away any suspicion an employer may have about you and removes the need to ask for employment references.  As Schawbel explained, “What you say about yourself is important, but what others say about you carries more weight”.




Social media sites such as: LinkedIn, Google+, Twitter and Facebook have given recruiters a whole new insight into your strengths and weaknesses as a candidate. This can reinforce their decision to hire you or to shy away from you. It starts with the comments you have posted online, the tone of voice others use to speak with you, and last, but not the least, the pictures you have posted online. How do they represent you and the new position you are seeking or company you will be working for?
                                                          
Following are a few tips to help you make the most of your online job search. Consider taking a professional head shot for your LinkedIn profile. Do your homework before interviewing with a company. Learn about your career path. Make sure to like the company or organization you are interested in working for in the future. Join industry specific groups and participate in discussion threads. Be open to accepting invitations from new creditable contacts and make introductions when appropriate; it is good career karma. Make contacts before you need them. Your co-workers and classmates are a good place to start. Every one of us will be going somewhere great soon due to promotions or graduations. But the caveat is to take the conversation offline into the real world whenever you can. As great as social media is, never forget that it is made of real people behind those profiles.





10 comments:

  1. I had always looked at LinkedIn as a 'facebook for people too professional for facebook' kind of thing and never gave it too much thought. Several professors and friends throughout college have recommended I get one because it provided great opportunities but I never took it seriously. Thanks for providing some insight as to why it is so good, I might have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing that we both thought of LinkedIn the same way. I believe they should revamp their marketing to capture more professional like us who thought of LinkedIn just as some time of Facebook for social connection and fun. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. I was in the same boat as you were, I never paid much attention to LinkedIn until recently. Over the summer my Business Communications teacher made us create a LinkedIn profile for a project grade and if it weren't for that I would probably to this day still not have one. I will say that I am glad that I created a profile and it has been very useful for the short amount of time I have already been using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is great that your Professor gave you a taste of the possibilities of what LinkedIn can offer. I am sure after the class, if LinkedIn wasn't beneficial, you would have deleted the account. I would suggest that linkedIn hires some Marketing major students and Professors at UNCC to spread the good word around. They are missing the opportunity to exponentially increase their market share because just like you and I, numerous individuals haven't caught on to the power and reach of LinkedIn as far as finding the right employment or career is concerned, .
      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I currently use Linkedin. I think its a great networking site that allows me to connect with coworkers and possible future employer. It also has great articles about interviewing, resume building, etc. I have had connections contact me for job opportunities so it has been very helpful. With our world today, networking and having those connections is almost necessary to get your foot in the door. Great Article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen, Your post is evidence to what LinkedIn can do for anyone, especially college students like us who will be in the job market in the near future.
      Great insight.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's important for students to realize that simply creating an account will not land you a job. This blog post (very well done) does obviously make the process simplified. To get your name "out there" for professionals to see, posting in the groups is important. For example, I bet there's a UNC Charlotte Alumni group. When you post and comment, others can see more of your character and intelligence compared to your concise profile. I for one do not take advantage of the opportunities to network on LinkedIn. It's unfortunate but I see LinkedIn as a Facebook Resume - things on my resume are the exact things that are on my LinkedIn profile. However, it's still helpful. Another important thing is to research people who view your profile. Whenever I notice a stranger has looked at my page, I look at theirs. If it's someone interesting, especially someone with a job at an noteworthy company, I add them. This opens the door and says, "Hey, I'm interested in why you looked at my page. Please approach me with any internships or jobs you may be looking to hire for."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you do understand what LinkedIn is. Also it is very power tool when the resume is done right before it is transferred into LinkedIn. Jen Classic who posted a comment above have some additional information as well that are constructive as yours from a different angle.
      Thank you for your post.

      Delete
  6. I am glad to hear that you will be opening up an account, I hope by the time this reply gets to you, that you already have done so. It is better to have an account and let it work its magic for you. Once you have set it up, you don't have to check it every day or weekly. Prospective employer will contact you. Make sure to optimize your account when you create one and that, it has the best reflections of your resume, what you have done and hoped to do in the future when you graduate. Before you know it, Offers for employments will be coming to you.
    Best of lucks to you and thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete