Tuesday, September 3, 2013

How Smart Phones are Changing Traditional Web Based Social Networking





The idea that mobile marketers can know where you are and target messages to you based on this data is now a thing of the present day. We live and breathe through our mobile devices. It goes so far to this point that most students I have talked to cannot even walk out their door each day without their phones in their hands. The cell phone today has become even more of a status symbol for younger teenagers. If you do not have a smart phone, most likely people will make a joke at your expense. The advantage to having our smart phones on us at all times is this ability to access our social media at any point. Social media examples can be anywhere from advertisers sending consumers coupons via a social media outlet such as Facebook or emails from companies are sending about upcoming sales. The advertisers assume that smart phone users always have their phones on them for this exact reason. When we all have down time, admit it, you check Facebook or Twitter or whatever social media outlet you frequent. They also assume you are semi-engaged in your nightly TV shows; therefore most advertisers will use this time to send you items you would want to look at or post sales for the next day so every consumer can see them. This new trend has changed how smartphones affect our social media networking. I believe that the beginning to the demise of social media networking in advertising is on the approach. As people grow more and more into the social media realm, there will be many other options for you to connect online. As of 2003, when Facebook was started, there has been more than 100 internet social networking websites added to the World Wide Web. Smart phones help us engage in this social media network we have created but it is not all beneficial. Think about the addiction to the activity. The state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming is the definition of and addiction. Do you side with us on the fact that smart phones have changed the way social media networking is today?
 



Bibliography:
www.dictionary.com
 http://www.mippu.com/unique-facebook-addiction-bed-concept-furniture-design.html/smart-concept-facebook-addiction-bed-furniture-ideas
http://myphonemd.net/blog/2012/08/23/are-smartphones-as-addictive-as-cigarettes/

 

9 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree. Smart phones allow us to have instant access to social media.When before you had to log on by using a computer or the previous cell phone before 4G. I can also relate to the fact that I constantly check my phone and rarely leave it at home. There so addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly, the social media and smart phone became part of my daily life that I really can't leave them. Although they do cost a lot of my time, they give me significant convenience. I chat, share new things with friends on social media; and smart phone help me a lot both in study and work.

    However, ever since I realize that I have relied on smart phone and social media, I felt like I am fettered by them. So I am trying not to overusing them now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only you get commercial offers from companies that try to push their products and servicces, utilizing social networking sites as a powerful marketing tool but also job offers. A few days ago, I saw, on my Facebook wall, an exclusive job offer from Gemini Jets, a company that sells highly detailed scale model airplanes, for people who gave them a "like" to thier Facebook page. And just like it's mentioned in the article, they also send out attractive offers to people who follow their posts; most of the time, of course, on a mobile device.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like everyone else, I also have a smartphone. But I have never been into the whole Facebook and Twitter thing. I'm just not the type of person that feels that they need to share everything that I do in one day...maybe I'm a little different than most. My smartphone definitely doesn't get used up to its full potential. So I am probably one of only ones to have a differing opinion on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud to say that I do not own a smartphone (let the jokes begin), nor do I subscribe to any social networking sites. But I think it has changed the way users network through social media. Instead of being addicted to your computer screen, you can now be addicted to your cell phone's screen. There are pros and cons to everything, social media is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a smartphone newbie myself. I think I've had mine less than a year now. My philosophy was always "I just need my phone to make call". I have to admit that it has made my life A LOT easier. From directions to checking my email on the go to being able to easily check the web for information at a moments notice. I wouldn't say I'm addicted because I don't stay glued to it, but I'm definitely a believer :)

      Delete
  6. I totally agree. Whenever I go out with a group of friends to dinner, a bar, etc. a majority of them are on their smartphones either checking Facebook, instagram, twitter, the score of whatever game is on that night, etc. While I think that smartphones are awesome and useful (being a smartphone owner myself), it does create a disconnect between the people you are currently hanging out with at the moment in time. You have to think to yourself, "how connected is to connected?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very interesting topic and has become very popular lately. It is hard to believe that there was time when we did not have smart phones. At first I used it for emails and a gps, but now I have a twitter, instagram, facebook, pinterest, and vine account. I sometime forget to enjoy the moment instead of being too worried about sharing it with my social network. I saw the video below earlier today and think it relates well to this topic.

    http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/09/05/219266779/our-cultural-addiction-to-phones-in-one-disconcerting-video?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130905

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased my fist smartphone this year. Even though I am amazed by its features and capabilities, I don't let it consume me. I grew up during a time when there were only rotary phones in the house and pay phones in public; however, my smartphone enables me to: check my email on-the-go; view my bank account balance; and play games to pass time when I am waiting in lines or at a doctor's appt.

    ReplyDelete